Future media and technology are responsible for over 2 million web pages and 250,000 URLs. New websites are added at the rate of almost 1 a day. A proportion of these websites are developed by independents.
Having rolled out a new process for commissioning, “Green Lit”, the BBC wanted to focus on increasing the emphasis on quality in the end to end website process including development, launch and maintenance.
How did we help?
We were engaged to analyse the existing processes and recommend improvements, along with a milestone plan of how to achieve them. Our approach was to:
- Scope/Requirements; Review the ‘quality’ requirements of the key stakeholders. From these requirements we identified the scope of which processes we needed to consider.
- Process analysis & design; We analysed the existing processes, interviewed key participants and stakeholders as required. Using our experience of ensuring quality in project environments we then produced a high-level pictorial representation of how the processes should be modified and where quality gates should be introduced.
- Recommendations on testing; In reviewing the current processes we examined the current testing procedures. We identified best practice and recommended improvements.
- Milestone planning; Using our experience of improving project processes and methodologies we developed a milestone plan.
- Skills assessment; Based on our observations, we recommended how to upskill the BBC FM&T project mangers.
- Implementation cost; We produced a cost plan which will support the benefits listed above.
We produced the following deliverables
- pictorial representation of our recommended overall destination process including key quality gates
- template document(s) for the recommended quality gate(s) within the deep-dive process
- testing recommendations document containing observations on the current testing procedures and a list of recommendations
- milestone plan for the implementation of the destination process
- cost plan
- project manager observations and suggested up-skilling programme
Benefits to the BBC
BBC was able to improve the quality of how they build their websites by implementing our recommendations.