BSkyB has four main business areas: broadcast, mobile telecommunications, gaming/betting and internet (Sky.com). These business areas are all fast moving and highly competitive. BSkyB has a large volume of project work being delivered in order to maintain their position in established markets and to obtain a greater share of developing markets.
These projects are being delivered using a number of different techniques (such as Agile, “waterfall”) and there is some inconsistency in standard reporting.
The challenge for the senior IT executives was to have a better overview of how these projects deliver capabilities within the strategy of the business.
How did we help?
To do this work we did the following:
- conducted an analysis of the portfolio of projects being undertaken
- created a roadmap of the capabilities delivered
- prepared a gap analysis of the data sources and flows, validation controls, governance and mechanisms for regular reporting for the portfolio
- prepared a report of recommendations for improvements from the gap analysis so that the capabilities roadmap could be regularly produced
- advised on the production of a capacity and release management system to enable more effective management of the portfolio
The deliverables from this assignment were:
- a capabilities roadmap template
- a consolidated programme report template
- an description of the approach to be adopted in the creation and maintenance of the capabilities roadmap, the benefits and a gap analysis of the data sources and flows, validation controls, governance and mechanisms for regular reporting for the portfolio
- recommendations about the next steps
Benefits to BSKYB
- the new roadmap enables the IT Executive to make more informed decisions on the major programmes at BSkyB with the interdependencies that exist between them clearly marked
- a clear understanding about the common information requirements for all projects regardless of how they are delivered (ie, Agile or “waterfall”)